Image Map

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Favorite Things: The Pancake Bowl

We had snow overnight.

I love snow.  I know a lot of people hate it.  Do not count me in that group.  It's especially nice if I am home and don't have to travel anywhere.

 After lots of excitement about possibly getting some snow on Friday, we came up empty-handed.  I knew there was a chance for it Saturday night/Sunday morning but figured that wouldn't pan out either.  Guess I was wrong!  I woke up hearing my kids downstairs talking about it while they were looking for our elf, Clara.  I peeked out the window and sure enough, there was the white stuff on the ground.  It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get them excited.  I love a pleasant surprise.  And speaking of that, here's what Clara brought the kids.
 
 
 
 

In spite of their excitement about the cookies, I did not let them eat them for breakfast.  But I thought the next best thing would be pancakes.  Out came the pancake bowl.


I ordered this from a catalog years ago when my husband and I started dating.  I realized I had found a man who loved to make breakfast.  And he loved to make breakfast for me.  As in made-to-order, "What would you like this morning?"  Scrambled eggs and English muffin?  French toast?  Waffles? Hash browns?  Pancakes?  The first time he made me French toast, I told him, "Your stock just keeps rising."

I had seen this bowl many times and loved it but resisted since I never made pancakes for myself in the morning.  Now I had a reason to buy it.  I thought the pour spout would be very handy for pouring the batter on the griddle.  It's not.  This has remained the pancake bowl regardless.  If the kids see it out, they know pancakes are forthcoming. 

There's something special about someone making pancakes for you.  Yes, you can buy them frozen or go to IHOP, but it's not the same as someone making them for you.  For years, we used Bisquick and used add-ins like blueberries, chocolate chips, or cinnamon.  Last year, that all changed when I found a copycat recipe on Pinterest for IHOP pancakes.  I was curious if pancakes would be better.  Um, YES.  No comparison

So because it is the season of giving, I'm going to share this recipe with you.  Just try it.  You won't be sorry.  You don't need a special pancake bowl.  You just need someone who cares about you to make them for you or you can make them for someone you care about.  It will make you or them feel loved.  And your stock will rise.  Here's the link or you can get it below.  Enjoy!



IHOP pancakes

1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 c. sugar

Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix the egg with the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Add the melted butter and sugar. Fry on a greased griddle. Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you married a winner! I can't wait to try this recipe. I bet my daughter will love it now she is eating so much table food! :)

    ReplyDelete