Image Map

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

July Reading Receipt

Much productivity in the "Getting The Books Read" department this month.  Here's what I read in July:

(Also related: I am loving my new letter board and letter kit.)

#1 Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
This was a BOTM selection awhile back, but I passed on it for something else even though I thought the synopsis was intriguing.  Parts of a giant robot are found all over the world.  Who buried them there 6000 years ago and why? It was later on Super Sale for Kindle, so I grabbed it then.  I'm not a blanket sci-fi lover, but if there's a good story with likable characters I enjoy it regardless of genre.   This is told in transcripts of interviews and reports.  Strangely, my favorite character was the interviewer who wasn't really a part of the action for most of the story.  I'm pretty sure this is the first in a series.  I'll be reading the next one, so that should tell you something right there.



#2 In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
After finishing The Woman in Cabin 10 ( a BOTM selection I did go for), I realized that I'd had another of her books around for months.  I liked this one even better than Cabin 10.  I'll also be adding Ware's newest book onto my BOTM selection this month.


#3 Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica
I went on the waiting list for this at the library before it was even published, so I got it pretty quick when it did finally come out this month.  I've liked all of Kubica's books, but this one is my favorite so far.  I appreciate that she can evoke tension without any fantastical plot twists.  You're on the edge of your seat without feeling like she's trying to pull a fast one on you.  When you find out all the answers in Kubica thriller, the explanations are very human.  I appreciate that more than anything.


#4 Final Girls by Riley Sager
BOTM last month and to wit, I felt like this author (Riley Sager is the pen name of a previously published unnamed author) did pull a fast one on me - a cheap, fast one to be exact. This story had me for a bit, then completely lost me with what I felt was a contrived twist. When it's just for shock value, I feel like I've been conned.



#5 The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
I will say this deals with the very controversial subject of a racially motivated shooting by the police.  Did it make me uncomfortable? Yes.  Did I agree with everything in it? No.  Did I agree with some of it?  Yes.  Did it I think about it when I wasn't reading it and after I was finished with it?  Oh, hell yes.  And isn't that what great writing is supposed to do?  Subject matter aside for a second, this author brought characters to life who jumped off the page for me in a story that grabs you by the lapels and doesn't let go.  And the dialogue was the best I've read in some time.  She's very talented and has a long promising career ahead of her.  Read it.


One last thing - this month we went on vacation in Wisconsin and made a stop at Boswell Book Company.  They slipped this bookmark in with my purchase. I love it very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment