Image Map

Monday, January 6, 2014

Snow Day

On Sunday we were hit by a winter storm.  Everyone knew it was coming for days.  Snow, wind, extreme cold.  We were scheduled to get it all.  And we did.  Sunday morning the snow began and didn't stop until about 9:00 at night. 

I took this picture in the late morning.  It kept coming down all day.
 
 
I had stocked up on everything we needed on my regular Friday shopping trip.  We had our generator and gas to run it.  My husband brought in firewood.  We made it to Saturday mass and then hit one of our favorite local restaurants for one last outing before Snowmageddon hit on Sunday.
 

This is at one of our local restaurants, The Wharf.  They have some seriously delicious food plus an awesome atmosphere for a cold night.
 
 The only thing left to do was sit out a bowl to catch snow for some snow ice cream.
 
 
I seriously was so looking forward to a day snowed in with my family.  We had extended family time while my husband and I were off for Christmas break, but there's something about knowing you'll all be together, cozy and relaxed, while the storm rages outside.  That's the definition of what a home should be for me.  It's a place of respite from the crazy world we live in, a place where you have total acceptance, a place where you can indulge in your favorite pastimes.  This is especially true on a snow day because you can't be tempted to run out to do errands or take care of other distractions outside the home.  We need more of this in the world today.  At least I do.
 
This Sunday consisted of  blankets, a Scooby Doo movie, pajamas, the kids playing together with a Christmas present my daughter had yet to open, roasted chicken, lots of Pinterest, and a rescreening of past seasons of Justified.  We did make snow ice cream.  Super easy.  A bowl of clean snow, a can of condensed milk, a little vanilla.  Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have some toppings on hand.
 
 


Technically it wasn't a Snow Day, because it was a Sunday.  School was not called off.  But how great would it be if all Sundays were like this?  I'm often stressed out on Sunday night thinking about Monday, getting lesson plans and lunches ready, looking at the schedule for the coming week.  But lucky me, I wasn't scheduled to be back at work until Wednesday, and my kids did get an official Snow Day from school on Monday.  So no stress, just reveling in Sunday at home - the perfect Snow Day.
 
Kim





1 comment:

  1. I've seen about the snow ice cream. Next time we get a good snow I will have to try it! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete