Image Map

Sunday, October 30, 2016

October Reading Receipt

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy!

Two books in October...Last month I blamed my puny number on work, so this month I'm gonna go ahead and blame baseball.  THE CUBS MADE IT INTO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!  With the two playoff series and now the actual World Series, my time to read in the evening has been limited.  But I wouldn't have missed a minute of this wild ride for anything.  Now join me for a moment in saying a prayer that we can still pull this thing off...



Disclaimer: I did not actually read this first book in the month of October.  Note that the sign says "August", but I think I finished it in September.  Somehow it got lost in the shuffle between my August and September receipts, and it was just too good to not mention.  So I'm going to go ahead and throw it on October's receipt.



The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin had a main character who leapt off the pages for me.  Lavinia "Vinnie" Warren Bump Stratton was a little person who traveled the world with P.T. Barnum in the years surrounding the Civil War.  She married the most famous little person of her time, General Tom Thumb.  I've mentioned before that I so enjoy Benjamin's fictional non-fiction tales very much. This one was no exception.



The second book was We Are Unprepared by Meg Little Reilly.  Young professional hipsters, Ash and Pia, leave their lives in Brooklyn to live a more authentic life in Ash's beloved home state of Vermont.  Unfortunately, they quickly find out they are not ready for a brutal oncoming storm in their rural Vermont home. This book did an excellent job of portraying how disaster shines a light on all the cracks of a relationship.  I was prepared for more of the story of the storm, however it focused mostly on the impending doom and dread the characters face in light of the still to come storm.  I actually found it more interesting this way. 

This is the first time in a bit that I've been unsure of what to read next.  I have several things on my Kindle I've bought on incredible sale, maaaaaany choices from the Friends of the Library September Sale, and three or four unread Book of the Month choices.  I need to make a choice, and I will - right after tonight's game.
.


Kim

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Tom Thumb sounds right up my alley. I read a book last year called The Thunder of Giants about a husband and wife who were also with P.T. Barnum and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete