Image Map

Saturday, August 10, 2013

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Top Ten List

I go back to work next week.  Yes, I am a teacher.  I don't assign the "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" to my students each year.  They're a little young for that.  I have decided to assign it to myself, however, as my break comes to a close.  I can sum it all up with this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon I found.

 
No, guys, there's not. You're so wise.

I am using "nothing" in a humorous way here because I feel like I've accomplished a great deal this summer.  I'm not sure it would mean a lot to someone else, but isn't that kind of the point?  It's about the living you do when you're not earning a living.  Here's my top ten list.

10. I went on a family vacation to Michigan.  You can read all about that here.  It was one of the best trips we've taken.  Great family memories made.

9. I began a love affair with a thrift shop.  It rages on.  You can check that out right here.  Blogger actually tells me this is my most-viewed blog post.  That might have something to do with the fact that it was one of my earliest ones, and I hadn't figured out how to not track my own page views.  Oh, well! 

8. I exercised on our treadmill.  Regularly.  Not like I do during the school year.  I'd like to think I can keep this up once school starts.  We'll see.  Although I hate to exercise, it does give me a chance to reflect on things and clear out the cobwebs.  Check out my one of my epiphanies on the treadmill here .

7. We went blueberry picking.  This is a tradition for us.  I didn't do a post about this, but it's knocking around in my head somewhere.  It'll get done one of these days.  Until then, here's a pic.

He eats more than he picks.

6. I saw every kids' movie that came out this summer, I think. This says a lot about the phase of life I am currently enjoying.   From Epic to Monsters U to Turbo, we did them all.  I love going to the movies with my family. 

5. I celebrated my 11th wedding anniversary.  Our neighbors volunteered to watch our kids for which I am so grateful.  Here we are in a picture taken by our ten year old before we went out for the night.
Things just keep getting better on this front. :)
 
4. I tackled the art of making bread.  I probably won't have much time to do it after school starts, but maybe I can squeeze it in on the weekends once in awhile. 
 
3. We took another long weekend trip to St. Louis which I blogged about here . This was another fun trip that I'm glad we managed to fit in.
 
2. I learned how to sew which I wrote about here .  This was something I have wanted to do for a long time.  It was time to get busy living.  So glad I did.
 
1. I started this blog,  I wrote about what my intentions were for starting this blog here .  I still have  much to learn, but it has been so satisfying for me.  I've fallen in love with writing all over again.  This has been one of the best things about this summer.  I'm really hoping to keep up with it during the school year. 
 
So there you have the highlights of my "nothing".  I didn't make money doing any of these things which is why some might classify them as "nothing".  But to do that misses the point.  I think that  living your life only makes you better at the way you make your living.
 
 



Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment