Image Map

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Treadmill Musing

This morning as I was on the treadmill, I was thinking about the saying, "You teach people how to treat you."  I think that is true in a lot of cases.  But I started thinking about how nice it is when you meet someone who already knows.

There was a reason I was thinking of this while doing my workout.  Last night as I was on the treadmill, I noticed the rotating belt (the one you actually walk on) was doing some weird things.  It was wobbly and felt like it was actually stopping every few minutes.  I probably should have gotten off because it would have been easy to fall and injure myself.  Let me elaborate on why I didn't do this.  Once I am on the treadmill, it takes something like a small house fire to get me off in the middle of my workout.  I know I won't get back on if I stop.  It takes so much mental energy for me to get psyched up to get on that I don't want to waste that. So despite my better judgment, I stayed on for the duration.

My husband wasn't home at the time.  He was working bingo for our children's school fundraiser.  If he had been home, I would have called for him to come and look at it while I was on it.  He is a fixer of all things.  I never worry too much when something breaks.  I know he most likely will be able to repair the necklace/toy/electronic that is in need of help.

He got home late.  I explained to him what it was doing and asked if he would please take a quick look at it.  Even though he has to get up at 5:00 A.M. for work, he went right down because he knew I wanted to work out in the morning the next day.  It took him about 15 minutes to tighten up the belt that was loose. 

So I found myself thinking this morning as I was walking on my now safe, normally functioning treadmill. When someone takes what is important to you and makes it his own priority, you know that person loves you because of the way he treats you.  Dan doesn't use the treadmill.  It would have been easy for him to say, "I'll look at it later. I want to get to bed."  But he didn't.  He knew I wanted it fixed ASAP because I prefer to work out in the morning when I can.  He wanted me to be safe while on it. My happiness is important to him.  He's been like this since we met.  I didn't teach him.  It's just the way his heart is built.  It's why I never had any doubts about spending the rest of my life with him.  I try to reciprocate and make what is important to him my priority.

You do have to teach some people how to treat you in life. Some pick up on it quickly.  Some people take a long time to learn.  Some never do, and it isn't worth the effort it takes to try. But when you find someone you don't have to teach, you hold onto that person with both hands.

 
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment