Image Map

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Chalkboards and The Universe


 Chalkboards.  I love them. Maybe it's the teacher in me?  Maybe it's because it's another way to decorate with words?  Whatever the reason, it all started when I saw how easy they were to make on Pinterest.  I bought a nice frame and used chalkboard spray paint on the glass.  It became the herald of upcoming big events at our home.


 Then one of my first graders gave me a little one with a hanger.   I hung this one on my door or propped it on a stand and changed what it said.


This made me realize the diversity of these little gems.  Soon I was pinning ideas on Pinterest and copying them.  You can follow my Pinterest board, "The Old Drawing Board" here if you're interested.




 Then I ordered some chalkboard markers from Amazon and discovered a whole new aspect to the chalkboard art thing.





I may have even chalkboard-ed my slow cooker when it needed a new look <sheepish grin>.  Check out this post if you want to know more about that. 


And then we made this chalkboard planter this weekend for my son's teacher for Teacher Appreciation this week.


So it's fair to say, I've gone a little chalkboard crazy this year.


Recently, I'd been wanting to update the office/computer area in our kitchen and was thinking about painting a wall with chalkboard paint.  I had been talking to my husband about building a frame around it.  He wasn't super keen on the idea since we've talked about putting our house on the market (even though we have about a million things to do to it before then).  Our dream would be to live in the country in a farmhouse, but finding the right house in the right location for the right price has been no small trick.


Then this happened.  I saw this chalkboard on the Facebook page of a small antique/thrift store's page in my city.  And I had to have it. 



It's from an old Fire Department in our city.  I love that.  



When I brought it home and had my husband hang it up, I experienced a moment of doubt.  I was afraid it didn't really "go" with our kitchen.  I said to my husband, "But it would look great in an old farmhouse."  He agreed.


My daughter thought this was great.  She immediately asked if she could draw on it and then spent an hour drawing some character from Teen Titans Go.


I think it came out pretty good!


So I'm going with the whole, "If You Build It, They Will Come" theory.  We don't have our farmhouse in the country.  But I think if you put things out into the universe, sometimes the universe comes around to your way of thinking.  And if not, I'll still enjoy my chalkboard.  I've got all kinds of plans for it.





Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment