Image Map

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Made It Monday - Fourth of July Burlap Wreath

Time to share more Fourth of July décor!  My Fourth was very enjoyable.  We had some friends over who have kids the same age as ours for a cookout.  The kids swam.  We ate burgers and brats and made smores over the fire.  Then we watched the fireworks at the country club from our backyard.  No crowds = my favorite.

This Made It Monday all started back in January.  Wait.  What?  Yes, I know it sounds strange.  January is when I learned to make one of those burlap wreaths that I was seeing everywhere.  One of the local florists in town was giving a class to teach you how to make a spring-inspired burlap wreath.  I even forced  recruited some teacher friends to join me. 

I'm always sure before I go to a class where I will learn to make something that it will be too hard.  I'll be frustrated and never make another wreath/basket/plate again.  As I mentioned in last Monday's post, I am not a natural crafter.

This class, however, was one of the easiest ones I have ever taken.  These burlap wreaths are so simple to make.  If you can push fabric through wire openings, you can make one.

 
This was the original spring wreath I made. 
 
It didn't take me long to realize that this was so easy, I could make lots of different kinds of these on my own. My next attempt was a Valentine's Day wreath.  I was really happy with the way it turned out.
 
 
 
 


A close-up of those little rose doodads.  They were on clearance at Hobby Lobby.
 
So naturally, when the Fourth of July rolled around, I had to make another.  I actually got a little creative (for me) and used two different colors of burlap.  It was my take on the flag.  Although my color blind husband informed me that the flag is red, white, and blue, not brown. :)

I always underestimate how much burlap it takes to make one of these, so I had to stop here and go buy some more.  That's okay.  It made me remember to take a picture at the unfinished stage.

 

  The finished stage
 

And here it is hanging in my sunroom.
 
The class I took to learn how to do this was under $20.  It was definitely worth it!  God bless America!


Kim
 

No comments:

Post a Comment