Image Map

Monday, February 29, 2016

February Reading Receipt

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy today!

Last month I had the idea to do an end of the month post detailing the books I had read for the month.  You can read my January Reading Receipt HERE, if you're interested.

On to February!  With Leap Day this year, I had an extra day in this month.  I wish I could say I spent it reading, but sadly that was not the case. I did get inspired to kick it into gear and finish the book I was reading when I realized yesterday was almost the last day of the month.

Here's what I read this month:


Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
Four novellas by the master of horror with a right-on title since each of these stories was darker than the one before it.  Reading these took me back.  I hadn't read a novella by King since high school.  He still rocks this genre like no one else.



Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
I had seen and heard a lot about this one all over the internet.  Sometimes it's the trailer for an upcoming movie that inspires me to go ahead and read the book. That was the case here.  I liked the main character of this story a lot.  I will be reading the sequel to find out what happens to her.



Calvin by Martine Leavitt
This was probably the most unusual book of the month.  Calvin has a tiger he talks to named Hobbes and a best friend name Susie.  Sounds familiar, right?  Except this Calvin is a teenager who was just been diagnosed with schizophrenia.  He's sure if he can get Bill Watterson to make one more comic strip of a grown up Calvin without Hobbes he'll be cured.



Walden on Wheels by Ken Ilgunes
This was my one nonfiction read of the month. I was able to borrow it for free on my Kindle with my Prime membership. Ilgunes was newly out of undergrad school with a Bachelor's Degree and $32,000 in debt.  After working tirelessly at various minimum wage jobs in Alaska for five years to pay it off as soon as possible, he decides to go to grad school but refuses to go back into debt.  He devises a plan in which he will live in his van in a parking lot at Duke University and work full time.  This was thought provoking but a lot of the time I felt the author didn't know what he wanted at all.

That's it for ths month.  See you at the end of March with another reading receipt.

Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment