Image Map

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May Reading Receipt

Welcome to May's Reading Receipt.  I started doing a Reading Receipt in January and have kept up with posting each month's reads.

First up was The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney.  



I had heard a lot of buzz about this book and could not wait to read it.  I ended up joining The Book of the Month Club because they were running a special for 50% off a 3 month membership, making it just $21 total.  Three books for $7.00 isn't a bad deal especially when one of them is The Nest.  Loved this.  Loved.  It read like a dream.  I loved the exploration of the topic of money and people's attitudes towards it.  As I was reading the last few pages, my husband actually commented on how happy I looked as I found out what happened to each of the characters.


The second book I read for May was the next Book of the Month selection I was sent, The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan.  It told the story of a small bomb detonated by a terrorist in a Delhi market.  Two brothers are killed while the friend survives.  It deals with the aftermath for everyone including the terrorists.  So, not a feel-good read, but it was well done.  I probably wouldn't have chose this to read on my own, but that is what sort of appeals to me about the premise of Book of the Month Club.  I might extend my membership past the three month trial period.  I don't buy a lot of books and depend heavily on the library, but I do like the idea of supporting writers, reading something I normally wouldn't gravitate towards, and I also like to not have to rush to beat the clock with due dates (especially during the school year).  So we'll see.                   


Finally, I finished The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey on the second to last day of May (which was a good thing because it was due back to the library on the last day of May).  It only took me three days to read it, even thought I wouldn't classify it as a short book.  It was one of those page-turners that flies by without you realizing how many pages you've read.  I've read a lot of books similiar to this one recently (The Passage, Station Eleven, The Blondes) , but I still really enjoyed this book because of the excellent storytelling.

That's it for May.  Can't wait for June.  I have lots more time to read now!

No comments:

Post a Comment