Image Map

Monday, August 10, 2015

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Top Ten List

Two years ago when I started this blog, I wrote THIS POST with the ever popularly assigned "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" theme at the end of my summer.   As my break comes to a close, I decided to revisit this idea.  So here it is - my Top Ten List of the Summer of 2015.

10.  The Girl's Ballet Recital



Recital #8 was memorable for her and for us.  It's so cool to see how she's advanced through the years.  We had a special "Ballet Breakfast" the morning after her two performances were over.


9. Our Anniversary Trip to Southern Illinois and a SOLO TRIP Later On



First it was a giant free concert on the street to see the Woodbox Gang perform, a night at The Davie School Inn, and a trip to a couple of vineyards in 24 hours.  What a way to kick our summer off right.  Delightful.  And 13 years of being married to this delightful man.  Then I made a trip of my own in July that I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

8. Movies



Inside Out, Minions, Jurassic World, Ant Man, and Shaun the Sheep just to name a few.  Movie going is always more frequent in the summer. My favorite by far?  Inside Out!

7. Blue (Berries and Hair)




We did our annual blueberry picking and the girl wanted the ends of her hair died blue.  She earned the money to have it done herself and was so happy with the outcome.  It only lasted a couple of weeks, but it reminded me how she's getting more and more independent and opinionated.

6. Literature and Libations




I hosted a book exchange/ spirit tasting.  Everyone had to bring a book to trade and a drink to share.  I snagged one of my favorite reads so far this year at this exchange, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling).  This was really my kind of party, and I'm hoping to do it again in the near future.

5. A Trip to the Ocean (and An Encounter with a Jellyfish)



Wrote a POST about this trip .  Sure was nice for these Midwesterners to see the ocean again.

4. A Bathroom Renovation



Again, see longer post HERE and again HERE . Loved the way our bathroom turned out and still can't believe it each time I walk in there.

3. Mornings Reading On the Deck with My Dogs 



I read a lot of good ones this summer and spent a lot of good moments with my two canine companions.  They prefer other pastimes over reading, but to each his own.

2. The Wizard of Oz



The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies.  It's usually the one I name if pressed to give a favorite. I took my kids to see a production of it this summer.  I'm so glad I did.  Hearing the boy laugh at the lion's antics is something I'll always remember.  

1. Date Night



This was something Dan and I rarely did until this summer. We tried to go out once a week on Thursday nights.  We skipped a couple of weeks because of vacations and such, but for the most party we stuck to our schedule.  For our anniversary, I gave him a ten pass gift card to our local movie theater.  Although we didn't go to a movie every time we went out this summer, it was more the idea of the promise that we were going to make date night a priority.  Some nights we tried a new restaurant out of town and others we hit up Krispy Kreme and a book store. 


So there's my summer.  I have no complaints.



Kim







No comments:

Post a Comment